In accordance with the Education Act 1989, the Ministry of Education has informed Papatoetoe High School board of trustees that it is their view that the school continues to need an enrolment scheme to avoid overcrowding.
The schools scheme is designed with the following objectives:
- To avoid overcrowding in the school
- To recognise our historical home zone
- To provide students living in a stated home zone an automatic right to enrol at the school
- To provide opportunities for enrolment, where possible, to those not living in the stated home zone
- To enable the school to plan and staff effectively
The board will delegate to the principal the authority to act as the board's agent in the decision making process, though the board reserves the right to examine any special circumstances and make its own judgement.
Home Zone Enrolments
The zonal boundaries provide a home zone for enrolments. Any student whose current place of residence is in this home zone is entitled to enrol at the school.
A link to the Ministry of Education's school zones website is on our links page.
Out of Zone enrolments
There will be no automatic right of entry for any student living outside the home zone. However the board will make available out of zone places of a number such that the optimum school roll will not be exceeded or appear likely to be exceeded at the time the decision is made.
There will be no guaranteed acceptance for siblings of present or former pupils of the school.
Each year the board of trustees will:
- Determine a period during which applications for enrolment will be accepted for the following year;
- Develop procedures to be followed in the application process;
- Specify the information which parents may be required to supply in support of an application for enrolment for the following year.
Applications will be accepted in terms of this scheme once it has been notified in accordance with Section 11G(6) of the Education Act 1989
The home zone is the area enclosed by the following boundaries:
- To the east, by the southern motorway
- To the south, by Wiri Station Road
- To the west, by the railway line
- To the north, following the southern edge of the Grange Golf Course from number 27 Swaffield Road, up the eastern edge of the golf course to the intersection of Great South Road and Motatau Road. Then from Motatau Road to the Southern Motorway.